Re: [agi] Re: Superrationality

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri May 26 2006 - 06:05:16 MDT

> Not the baby-halving threat, actually.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/eganamit/NoCDT.pdf
>
> Here "Solomon's Problem" is referred to as "The Smoking Lesion", but the
> formulation is equivalent.

Thanks for the reference. The paper is entertaining, in that both the
theories presented (evidential decision theory and causal decision
theory) are patently very stupid right from the outset ;-)

EDT's foolishness is more mathematical in nature (via setting up the
problem mathematically in a way that ignores relevant information)
whereas CDT's foolishness is more philosophical in nature
(essentially, via introducing the folk-psychology notion of
"causality" which has no role in rigorous formal analyses of events).

I really think this stuff is not that complicated; but people seem to
be misled in thinking about it via commonplace illusions related to
"free will" ...

more later
ben