Re: Superrationality

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 23:21:29 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few years ago there was a long discussion on this list or the AGI
> list about Hofstadterian superrationality...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superrationality
>
> I wonder if anyone knows of any mathematical analysis of superrationality.

I worked out an analysis based on correlated computational processes -
you treat your own decision system as a special case of computation and
decide as if your decision determines the output of all computations
that are similar to the decision. Or to put it another way, you don't
choose as if you believe that multiple instantiations of an identical
abstract computation can have different outputs. This can be formalized
by extending Judea Pearl's causal graphs to include uncertainty about
abstract computations, and reworking Pearl's surgical formalism for
"acts" accordingly, which in turn is justified by considerations that
these margins are too small to include.

I haven't published this, but I believe I mentioned it on AGI during a
discussion of AIXI.