Re: Simulation Argument

From: John K Clark (jonkc@att.net)
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 11:12:15 MDT

It would seem to me that the simulation argument would only hold if there
were a finite number of posthuman civilizations. If some interpretations of
quantum mechanics are right and there are an infinite number of parallel
worlds then even if each civilization ran a million billion trillion
simulations the number of real worlds and the number of simulations
would be the same and we'd be as likely to be one as the other.
The same thing would be true if there were only one universe but an infinite
amount of time for interesting things to happen in it.

Of course up to now nobody has found an infinite number of anything in
the physical world, and if that holds up then there is still a nonzero
probability that we are not a simulation.

  John K Clark