RE: Simulation Argument

From: mike99 (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Sun May 21 2006 - 09:25:30 MDT

The Simulation Argument can be regarded as a stimulating thought experiment.
However, Nick Bostrom did not claim to have proven that we are living in a
simulation. He merely used mathematical logic to demonstrate the probability
that this is so.

In a semi-private email communication* Bostrom was asked whether he really
believed that we are living in a simulation. Bostrom wrote:

>The simulation argument does not claim that we are probably in a
>simulation. It only makes the case for a disjunction of three claims, one
>of which is the simulation hypothesis.
>
>For the record, I do not believe we are in a simulation. When I say there's
>a "significant probability", I don't mean greater than 50%. (If I had to
>pick a number, my personal view - not implied by the simulation argument -
>might be something like 20%.)

*[Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies Board of Directors email
archive message:
RE: [IEET] Article - Engineering Transcendence. Sun 11/7/2004 11:05 PM]

Regards,
Michael LaTorra

mike99@lascruces.com
mlatorra@nmsu.edu