Re: ESSAY: Forward Moral Nihilism

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 13:19:42 MDT

If you want to classify physical EM fields as computation, IMO you need to utilize the fields themselves in your computer substrate. So a Turing computer would need to be enhanced with the capability to "warp" the local vacuum state as our brains do. I know that is a horribly vague description, but when I look at competing theories of mind I don't feel so bad.

  I don't know if you'd need a protein computer, but it would certainly have to be carbon-based.

Martin Striz <mstriz@gmail.com> wrote:
  On 5/16/06, Phillip Huggan wrote:

> Our brains utilize chemical and physical phenomena that are substrate
> dependant. As long as your AI stays silicon there are no ethical
> implications *before* you achieve seed-AI.

You might want to check your premises. Our brains do, but that's
obvious. Do our minds? Are the processes that constitute the mind
Turing computable?