Re: ESSAY: Forward Moral Nihilism (EP)

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2006 - 15:45:44 MDT

At 06:38 PM 5/14/2006 +0200, David Picon Alvarez wrote:

(keith wrote)
> > I am not sure what you mean by "emotional social conformity" much less how
> > *that* would have contributed to reproductive success.
>
>I'd say this refers to taking society's value judgements and conforming to
>them. For example, loathing of homosexuality, or pigs, or eunuchs.
>
>The reproductive fitness part might come through social cohesion being an
>asset in war. Fighting because we need the food fails to stir people as
>fighting because those degenerate bastards are fucking eunuchs in the arse.
>(Forgive the language.)

The topic drift is getting very close to a subject the list snippers have
cut off before--perhaps because it is so depressing.

Loathing of something like ear length or foods is certainly the seeds of
xenophobic memes. So are religions and political memes. Why do they blow
up sometimes like the "cartoon" business of a few months ago? I.e. are
expansions of these memes leading to wars predictable?

I discuss this topic to excess here:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2006/4/17/194059/296

If you want to discuss it further, I suggest transplanting the tread to
Extropy-chat.

Keith Henson