Re: Changing the value system of FAI

From: Chris Capel (pdf23ds@gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 20:33:47 MDT

On 5/10/06, Ben Goertzel <ben@goertzel.org> wrote:
> However, I agree that this kind of "action" is not very pragmatically
> interesting, and I don't know for sure whether or not there are any
> important practical limitations on AI posed by Godel's Theorem and its
> relatives.
>
> I suspect that there are, however. For instance, I *suspect* (but
> have not proved) that Godel-type restrictions (appealing to Chaitin's
> algorithmic information based variant of Godel's Theorem) can be shown
> to imply that a system with memory capacity M cannot prove or disprove
> the Friendliness of most AI systems with memory capacity > N.

Is friendliness affected by the amount of memory available? Could, for
instance, adding more memory change a proved-Friendly AI into an
Unfriendly one?

(I can certainly see how an Unfriendly AI would limited memory could
be harmless, and become harmful with more memory available, but that's
a different issue.)

Chris Capel

--
"What is it like to be a bat? What is it like to bat a bee? What is it
like to be a bee being batted? What is it like to be a batted bee?"