Re: Changing the value system of FAI

From: Mikko Särelä (msarela@cc.hut.fi)
Date: Tue May 09 2006 - 16:38:38 MDT

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> Ben Goertzel wrote:
> > > No system can be designed which is able to optimise it's own source
> > > code. I would have thought that Godel's Incompleteness Theorem would
> > > have made that abundantly clear.
> >
> > Godel's Theorem places limitations on self-understanding,
> > self-optimization and goal-directed self-modification, but it
> > certainly does not prevent these things
>
> Ben, would you care to state what limitations you believe Godel's
> Theorem places?

My guess is that he is stating that you cannot prove any possible self
modification to either to be conclusively good or bad. Where good or bad
is judged by any reasonable criterion. Which means that you either have to
narrow your self modifications to those that can be proven good, or to
make some sort of guesses and jump to a possible unknown.

--
Mikko Särelä	http://thoughtsfromid.blogspot.com/
    "Happiness is not a destination, but a way of travelling." Aristotle