RE: Anti-singularity spam.

From: Bob Seidensticker (bob@future-hype.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2006 - 13:51:56 MDT

Dani: 3x10^6 GFLOPS is a human equivalent? That may be the equivalent in
computing power, but doesn't that ignore the software side? Suppose we had
such a supercomputer right now. Or we harnessed computers over the Internet
to collect that much power. Could this thing pass the Turing Test?

Or, said another way, if my laptop has the power of 10^(-6) human
equivalents (it can't quite do 3 GFLOPS, but let's imagine), then a Turing
Test could be done in one-millionth real time. That is, if you could
respond to a question in 5 seconds, we should have a laptop today give a
roughly equivalent answer in about 2 months. Does that software exist?

My concern is focusing on the hardware side (admittedly, Moore's Law is
making amazing advances) but ignoring the software side, which has been
notoriously hard to make.

Bob