Re: Fwd: We Can Understand Anything, But are Just a Bit Slow

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2006 - 09:24:28 MDT

Richard,

If you think that

>what is probably happening in STM is that
> there are several thousand things in "short term memory" at any given
> moment,

then either

a) you are flat wrong, and making an assertion refuted by experimetns already,

or

b) you are not defining STM in the same way as is standard in
cognitive psychology currently

I assume that b) is probably the case...

Now, this may be fine: perhaps, for example, your definition of STM may
correspond better to brain structure than the standard definition.
The area of STM/working-memory/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is the
subject of plenty of debate in contemporary cog psych.

But I would be curious for you to clarify exactly what your definition is...

Please note, it is not obvious that a mind needs to have a rigid
STM/LTM distinction. Novamente does not exactly have such a
distinction, though it has a couple different distinctions that are
somewhat related to this one.

-- Ben