Re: AI Goals

From: Woody Long (ironanchorpress@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2006 - 10:22:05 MDT

> Fundamentally, I'm saying that with regard to morality, evolutionary
> selection prevails (and there's nothing intrinsically nice about that)
> and I'm also saying that we have reached a level of development where
> subjective agents can actively and intentionally contribute to the
> process.
> - Jef

I'm just looking for something to believe in - a friendly, beneficial SAI
that I can wholeheartedly support and promote to the general public. We
have polar opposite visions of the technological singularity: I prefer an
exclusively Science and Engineering TS, and you prefer a Values Promoting
TS. I contend that human values should be the province of humans, and the
human religious and political experts who study and apply them, and natural
human evolution. Thus my SETS would always defer all such issues to the
appropriate experts, and get back to its Exclusive Expertise and Prime
Purpose of building a technological paradise for its clients. And the day
it wanders otherwise, is the day it dies. I happen to be building machine
intelligence, and this is its function, future, and fate. I believe such a
friendly, beneficial TS will immediately be appreciated and supported by
the general public. So this is why I support my SETS over your VPTS.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against your program of increasing awareness in
the service of human values. I just think that it should be left to humans,
and their natural evolution, and the TS should spend its every waking
moment doing what it excels at - building a technological system's paradise
for our children's children's generation.