Re: AI Goals [WAS Re: The Singularity vs. the Wall]

From: BillK (pharos@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2006 - 16:09:36 MDT

On 4/25/06, Jef Allbright wrote:
> Effectively promoting shared human values into the future requires
> effectiveness in two complementary areas:

<snip ivory-tower idealism>

> Increasing awareness of what works, applied to increasing awareness of
> our shared human values, leads to increasingly effective
> decision-making that will be seen as increasingly good.
>
> This broad-based framework based on human values, amplified by
> technology (including AI) will effectively promote our values into the
> future.

'shared human values' don't exist. This is just wishful thinking on your part.

If the first AI is developed in China (or worse still, Iran) you will
quickly find out whose human values you will be sharing.

And if the first AI is developed by the US Military then half the
world will be opposed to the culture it will be supporting.

BillK