Re: Anti-singularity spam.

From: micah glasser (micahglasser@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 22:53:45 MDT

The thesis we are debating, I think, can best be summed up as: hype is a bad
thing because it leads to overvalued markets and "waste investments" ;
these, in turn, lead to a "bust" cycle and the bust cycle leads to social
and economic disruptions that are undesirable.
This thesis actually makes a lot of sense - especially if you're an Austrian
School kind of guy like myself.
So here's my Austrian School analysis:
We start with the subjective theory of value and methodological
individualism. According to this view something is only valuable if an
individual perceives that it is. Price would then follow from the aggregate
of this subjective perception of value in the marketplace. Now because
finance is merely a system for allocating capitol investment it is only a
good system if the aggregate of subjective perception of value is accurate
(otherwise those things that need investment most will not receive it).
Now we come to hype. Hype, as I now define it, is a meme complex that
spreads causing the subjective perception of value to be completely
inaccurate on a large scale. This is a bad thing because it makes the system
of capitol allocation inefficient. Thus the need for market transparency.
The more good information people have access to the better investment
decisions they can make.
This leads me to my theory about market cycles and their relationship to the
singularity. Because access to good information is a prerequisite to
avoiding the spread of hype, and hence the bust cycle; and because better
and better access to information is a quality of the evolution of the
economic infrastructure (which leads to technological singularity), we might
conclude that the business cycle is in a trend that causes each successive
business cycle to be less and less severe and of a shorter and shorter
duration.
Also, looking at this whole cycle in the greater scheme of things, one might
describe the market cycle phenomenon as but one aspect of the co-evolution
that has arisen in the biosphere between culture/memes and techo/economic
infrastructure. It doesn't surprise me at all to see that spontaneous order
is coming together out of the apparent chaos of human economic/technological
activity - such order is often observed coming out of a chaotic system and
this process is understood mathematically.
Sorry if I got too far off topic.

--
I swear upon the alter of God, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny
over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson