RE: Reminder of REAL world

From: Reason (reason@longevitymeme.org)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2006 - 20:02:17 MDT

Alchemically morphing this into a thread useful to the denizens, I will note
that the Immortality Institute is soliciting abstracts for their second book
of essays, with a deadline of June 30th.

http://www.imminst.org/book/

One of the suggested topics is put thusly:

"the scientific conquest of death has sometimes been linked with the
assertion that it requires the development of advanced artificial
intelligence. Rarely has this link been explained explicitly. We are looking
for an essay that explains the relationship."

Morphing done in the spirit of this post:

http://www.fightaging.org/archives/000815.php

"What is the point of advancing knowledge about [topic X] in the absence of
intention and urgency to use it to alleviate human suffering and death?"

Which is what I suspect the thread originator to be saying, although
nihilism is no doubt just as plausible an interpretation.

Reason