Re: BLUE GENE and confusion about flops and tops and whistles

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2006 - 09:59:06 MST

On 3/31/06, turin <turin@hell.com> wrote:

> <So Blue Gene is doing 260 teraflops. I thought the brain was supposed to
> do 1-15 petaflops or am I wrong?

More like 1-15 exaflops.

<But here it says we do only 22.8 teraflops, I mean since the computer is
> running in "real time", that would clock us <at 22.8 teraflops yes?

No, that's only a tiny fragment of a brain they're doing, and not all the
functionality of even those few neurons at that.

Functional replication of the functionality of early auditory processing
> (which is quite well understood) has yielded an estimate that agrees with
> Moravec's assessment based on signal processing in the retina (i.e. 10^14
> ops <for whole-brain equivalent replication).

It's highly questionable whether that scales to the whole brain, and it
doesn't take into account full (rather than instantaneous) functionality.

But the brain probably does something like 10^18 - 10^19 flops using
algorithms designed to exploit the strengths of neural hardware. If you look
at how the 10^14 estimate was derived, it's what would be required to
produce similar capability using algorithms designed to exploit the
strengths of von Neumann hardware; and for that, it might be a plausible
guess. So we have: