Re: The SA and the DA

From: Dirk Bruere (dirk.bruere@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 18:14:28 MST

On 3/8/06, Tennessee Leeuwenburg <tennessee@tennessee.id.au> wrote:

> Simulation or whatever.
>
> We can suppose our universe (reality, whatever) to bear the same
> relation to ourselves as a simulation might bear to a simulated
> intelligence.
>
> This is a reasonable abstraction.
>
> However, we can't really know anything concrete about that. It can never
> be more than speculation, because it's invalid to make an inference from
> an unknown. By definition, that which is outside of our universe is
> unknown, and that which is known is inside of our universe.

Not entirely true unless the 'external reality' cannot be descibed
mathematically.
However, it is a reasonable assumption to make that mathematics and logic
apply in all spheres. Hence we could certainly model a variety of external
realities to a degree even if we did not know what it was specifically. Of
course, one might suppose that an external reality that could only be
modelled using uncomputable numbers might screw up that option a bit...

Dirk