Re: The SA and the DA

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 15:38:06 MST

The thing about the Doomsday Argument and Anthropics, is they function only in isolation. The slightest bit of empirical or theoretical knowledge supplants DA or Anthropic conclusions.

  Is there a solid logical refutation to the theory that the world was created 5 seconds ago by unicorns as a by-product of their dreams? All any of us know for certain is our thoughts are real. It does not mean absurd, improbable, unfalsifiable theories should be given any credibility. We have limited resources with which to focus attention upon.

Jeff Herrlich <jeff_herrlich@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Hello,

  I've also wondered about the relationship between the SA and the Doomsday Argument (based on my rather elementary understanding of both). They seem to me to reinforce each other. The SA seems to support the DA (and vice versa) through its proposition (1) That we are almost certain to go extict before reaching the Singularity (=doom soon). OR. through its proposition (3) that we are in fact in a simulation (which implies that the true population, including ourselves and our simulators is very large). Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any solid, logical refutation to the SA? I haven't found any yet.

Yahoo! Mail