Re: Memory as Simulation

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 13:15:21 MST

On 3/7/06, Dirk Bruere <dirk.bruere@gmail.com> wrote:

> Because intelligence, and singularity, only happened once and that spread
> across 'our' entire lightcone suppressing all else?

Well yes, I think that's a likely scenario. But it doesn't have anything to
do with the SA - it works exactly as well whether we're the
"original"/"real" pre-Singularity civilization or a simulation. It also
appears to agree with my position and contradict yours here:

[1] Personally I don't think it's a paradox because we have no a priori
> > reason to expect there should be aliens in our past light cone, but that's
> > another matter.
> >

> Well, we'll have to differ on that one given that our past lightcone that
> *might* have plausibly included aliens extends several billion years and
> contains millions (billions?) of galaxies.

About 10^11 galaxies, 10^22 stars - a large number by everyday standards,
but tiny compared to the size of the search space involved in the origin of
life let alone intelligence. (Bad side effect of spending too much time on
AI or anything else that - the known universe starts looking like a cosy
little garden. It just doesn't look big anymore :P)

But if you still think 10^22 is a big number in this context, why are you
happy to postulate that intelligence only happened once?

- Russell