Re: Proving the Impossibility of Stable Goal Systems

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2006 - 17:20:52 MST

Peter,

I think your general line of argument is probably right.

However, it seems to me that a rigorous proof of your argument is
going to be verrrry difficult to come by.

Look at how much math Marcus Hutter had to generate to prove some
theorems that amount to, in essence, the statement that "given any
computable goal, with near-infinite processing power and memory one
can make a software program that will achieve this goal just about as
well as is possible." Intuitively this is almost obvious but hundreds
of pages of hard math had to be done to prove it rigorously. And this
is obviously much simpler than the intuition you've expressed
regarding Friendliness of AI systems with finite resources.

I feel that our current mathematical concepts are very ill-suited to
proving theorems of this nature. Hutter's work is great but it
reminds me of things like

* a 50-page geometric derivation of the formula for the slope of a
cubic polynomial, done before Newton and Leibniz invented the rules of
calculus

* old-fashioned differential geometry calculations, done using
coordinate geometry and endless elementary algebra -- which is how
this stuff was done back before the invention of manifold theory

In each of these cases, long and nasty proofs were replaced by short
elegant ones after the correct set of new concepts was introduced.

In the case of issues regarding AGI, Friendliness and
self-modification and the like, I think we don't yet have the correct
set of new concepts. Once we do, some analogue of Hutter's theorems
will be provable almost trivially, and quite possibly some analogue of
your hypothesis about the difficulty of guaranteeing Friendliness for
AGI systems under finite resources will also be provable (though
probably not quite as trivially).

An interesting topic is what these new concepts might be. Of course
they will end up being related to current theoretical notions like
probability and algorithmic information, but I expect they will
involve a fundamentally different perspective as well.

-- Ben G