BOOK: Superrecursive Algorithms

From: H C (lphege@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2006 - 11:51:52 MST

This book was only just published in 2005. I wonder if this will start to
wittle away at the popular "aversion" to Strong AI. Fortunately for me, I
stumbled upon this book in the science library.

I've spent a good 3 or 4 hours reading this book and I'm only on page 5, so,
yeah, it's really thought provoking material.

" New discoveries about algorithms are leading scientists beyond the
Church-Turing Thesis, which governs the "algorithmic universe" and asserts
the conventionality of recursive algorithms. A new paradigm for computation,
the super-recursive algorithm, offers promising prospects for algorithms of
much greater computing power and efficiency. Super-Recursive Algorithms
provides an accessible, focused examination of the theory of super-recursive
algorithms and its ramifications for the computer industry, networks,
artificial intelligence, embedded systems, and the Internet. The book
demonstrates how these algorithms are more appropriate as mathematical
models for modern computers, and how these algorithms present a better
framework for computing methods in such areas as numerical analysis, array
searching, and controlling and monitoring systems. Problems of software
development, parallel and distributed processing, pervasive and emerging
computation, computer architecture, machine learning, brain modeling,
knowledge discovery, and intelligent systems are addressed. Topics and
Features: * Encompasses and systematizes all main classes of super-recursive
algorithms and the theory behind them * Describes the strengthening link
between the theory of super-recursive algorithms and actual algorithms close
to practical realization * Examines the theory’s basis as a foundation for
advancements in computing, information science, and related technologies *
Highlights how super-recursive algorithms pave the way for more advanced
design, utilization, and maintenance of computers * Possesses a
comprehensive bibliography and index This clear exposition, motivated by
numerous examples and illustrations, serves to develop a new paradigm for
complex, high-performance computing based on both partial recursive
functions and more inclusive recursive algorithms. Researchers and advanced
students interested in theory of computation and algorithms will find the
book an essential resource for an important new class of algorithms. "

- Hank Conn