Re: Think of it as AGI suiciding, not boxing

From: Charles D Hixson (charleshixsn@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 21:05:40 MST

On Tuesday 21 February 2006 11:16 am, Phillip Huggan wrote:
> It is feasible to police as computation increases towards ubiquity if
> policing implements also increase at the same rate or higher. It isn't
> happening now, but there is a class of technologies on the horizon that do
> encompass the mass production of sensor devices. The technical side of
> things seems feasible (one day, maybe not before AGI is built or something
> else earth-shattering happens), it is the political and administrative
> risks that scare me. That is why I'm only advancing a *let's never allow
> an AGI to get out* vision of the future as a suggestion to chew on.
Odd. The thought of such technologies being under a central agency that
WASN'T friendly is one of the reasons I feel an AGI is *necessary*!!! Of
course, it also slightly raises the stakes on getting it correct in the first
place, but it's a bit hard to raise practical infinity in any meaningful way.