Re: Friendliness not an Add-on

From: BillK (pharos@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2006 - 02:57:25 MST

On 2/21/06, Marcello Mathias Herreshoff wrote:

<snip>
> --- Chess
> But, I chose the example of chess to show that Alice has to be just as
> creative as Bob. Suppose, as you claim, that there's some brilliant move
> that Bob will notice and Alice won't. Now, consider Bob's previous move.
> Alice has to notice the brilliant move, or she won't be able to criticize
> suboptimal moves that do not set up the situation that the really brilliant
> move depended on.
>
> Real life is a game where the AI gets to take more than one turn.

Just a quick comment.

In the above statement, and others, you give the impression that you
are making statements about chess without much actual experience of
chess.

I have played chess for our local town team in matches in the local
league. i.e. my chess knowledge is more than the average casual
player.

Our top board player was in a different class to all the other team
members. He would win games consistently against us mere mortals and
we really couldn't see what he was doing. We had a record of the games
to analyse. We weren't making 'wrong' moves and he wasn't making
brilliant moves that we had overlooked. It was much more subtle than
that. More like a game of Go, where you have to 'shape' the game.

The point is that an advanced AI will be planning and producing
schemes that we have no chance of understanding. We will see the moves
but that won't help much.

BillK