Re: Turing Test

From: Philip Goetz (philgoetz@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 08:30:59 MST

On 2/16/06, Josh Cowan <jcowan5@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> An interesting critique of the Turing Test can be found at:
> http://www.thenewatlantis.com/archive/11/halpern.htm

It mostly is a critique of AI, not of the Turing test, saying that AI
researchers are only paying lip service to the Turing Test because
they can't write a program that passes it. It has a strange middle
section that, to no apparent purpose, accuses Turing of asking
poorly-thought-out questions in his example of the Turing test, which
is the only part critical of the test. And then it has a section on
Searle's Chinese Room, and a conclusion that we don't know if we ever
can create thinking machines.

- Phil