Re: Rate of change (was Re: 'a process of non-thinking called faith')

From: Philip Goetz (philgoetz@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 07:27:05 MST

On 2/16/06, Dani Eder <danielravennest@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Phi Goetz said:
>
> evaluating the
> > changes in people's lives, or lifespan or leisure
> > time or wealth increase. This latter generally
> > shows a
> > rate of change that is linear over time, decreasing
> > since
> > about 1970,
>
> Looking at real Gross Domestic Product/person in the
> US, ($2002) it was:
>
> 1780

Well, I was around in 1970, and I know that isn't so.
So I looked it up at the US Bureau of Economic Analysis
and the Census Bureau, given in 2002 dollars:

GDP/person
1934: 528 (using a population of 125,000,000, which is an estimate)
1970: 5108
2005: 41877

So we see the rate of increase from 1934 to 1970 was greater than the
rate from 1970 to 2005.

- Phil