Re: Fundamental problems

From: Jeff Medina (analyticphilosophy@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 14 2006 - 09:34:05 MST

On 2/14/06, Mitchell Porter <mitchtemporarily@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I would like to see this problem (or perhaps a more refined one)
> stated in the rigorous terms of theoretical computer science

I share the above sentiment completely, and have been of this mind for
many moons. There are a variety of SAI-related problems that could do
with (more/some) mathematical rigor, even aside from the distinctly
FAI-generated ones. And, in fact, this is precisely what I have
shifted to working on; nearly all my research and reading is directed
at rigorous derivations of the properties of self-modifying physical
and computational systems nowadays (though I'm not a full-time
researcher, I'm a full-time engineer who does research in his 'spare
time', so time is correspondingly limited). That said...

> I'd like to see this list try to generate such a formulation.

Here I disagree. A publicly archived mailing list with relatively
loose membership requirements is not nearly the optimal forum for
carrying out basic research. So if someone is interested in discussing
the mathematics of recursively self-modifying systems, feel free to
e-mail me off-list. Though I may be drawn into participating in the
public discussion that is spawned by your message, my intention and
desire is to avoid doing so.

--
Jeff Medina
http://www.painfullyclear.com/