RE: Self Improvement

From: H C (lphege@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 22:57:29 MST

>From: "Herb Martin" <HerbM@LearnQuick.Com>
>To: <sl4@sl4.org>
>Subject: RE: Self Improvement
>Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:07:08 -0600
>
> > Modality level: reading, speed reading (how effective is this,
> > anybody?),
>
>Extremely -- 2500 WPM is easily reproducible, while
>some claim 25,000+ but I haven't personally achieved
>that.

Haha.

Honestly. How much are you really accomplishing here?

> > Concept level: I think that most people do not often generate new
> > concepts except as children. Concepts can be serialized into text or
> > speech, and then re-encoded by another human, but the
> > transfer is lossy.

I think this is an interesting observation. I also think that this is an
area I excell in.

Creating new concepts is like learning a new language. Anything can mean
anything, and every clue you get about the meaning must be taken into
account... not just considered, but actually applied and checked for
consistency.

Also I think it is relevant to distinguish between generating new
instance-level concepts and new category-level concepts. If your life is
lived by integrating and operating within a vast sea of instance data then
you are really making little constructive progress in understanding; as
opposed to operating within the realm of category concepts that generalize
across a domain of other category concepts (until eventually lining up on
the instance level).

The problem with this being, integrating category level concepts under other
categories is a potentially huge algorithmic task for checking consistency
on an instance level. You have to really be able to make good ass guesses
and somehow understand how to verify these guesses using limited resources.

In fact, I think the best resources for immediate self-improvement is the
area of meta-knowledge like this. Knowing how to "know how" in an efficient
manner.

-hegem0n