Re: physical pain is bad (was Re: Dynamic ethics)

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 24 2006 - 11:01:44 MST

On 1/24/06, Philip Goetz <philgoetz@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you don't give lower organisms autonomy, and if you micromanage the
> entire environment, then you are going to end up organizing everything
> towards your ends. It would make no sense to preserve any lower
> species at all. Whatever they were naturally, you could redesign them
> in a way that would be more directed towards your goals. None of this
> "we're going to keep lions in a simulation!" crap. Either lower
> organisms have some autonomy, some rights to resources, or we vaporize
> them and turn Earth into a Jupiter brain, and There Can Be Only One.

Not at all. I don't believe lower organisms (by which I mean everything
currently known to exist other than humans) have rights, but I believe
humans have rights, and many humans place value on said lower organisms and
their ecologies, and they're entitled to preserve these things; that's
sufficient grounds for me to be opposed to vaporizing Earth.

- Russell