Re: Some considerations about AGI

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Mon Jan 23 2006 - 16:31:15 MST

I certainly see the point of Richard's proposed test. A Novamente
with "human-adult-level intelligence" (and yes, I understand this is a
somewhat bogus term, but I do think it has value as an ambiguous
natural language expression) connected to the Net would certainly be
able to answer these questions.

However, I also see the point of Eliezer's objection. One could make
very substantial progress toward AGI, going far beyond all existing AI
systems, without having a system capable of answering this sort of
question.

If we proceed as hoped with Novamente (which will begin by eventually
getting adequate funding to hire a few dedicated staff so that the
project can proceed at a non-ridiculously-slow pace) then there will
be intermediary stages between where we are now and human-adult-level
intelligence, which will be obviously impressive and exciting and
fascinating yet not involving the ability to answer Richard's
questions...

-- Ben G