Re: Some considerations about AGI

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Mon Jan 23 2006 - 23:14:50 MST

Rick,

The only significant point on your list was number 7:

> 7. We can practically demonstrate to possess an AGI.

I have looked at the extremely ambitious claims you make on your
website, and on that basis, I will now ask you directly if your PIBOT
will submit itself to the test I outlined in one of my recent posts, thus:

I will ask PIBOT several questions. These will be designed to stretch
it to the limits of its cognitive powers. The first set of questions I
will give you now, so your machine has time to prepare. Others must be
answered in real time, and they will be of a similar level of subtlety
as these, although they will not require PIBOT to do extensive research
the way that these questions do:

1) Give an introduction to Heim's theory of quantum gravity, in
sufficient detail to allow a Physics graduate to understand it.

2) You are living in a hovel in northern England, some time in the Dark
Ages, and when you open your door and look outside one morning, you hear
a fragment of a T.S. Eliot poem come to you (suitably translated into
your vernacular) through a time warp. You smile with recognition.
Explain why you smiled and what you heard.

3) Might Igor Stravinsky have had any opinion on the subject of motor
scooters? Why?

When the remaining questions are asked in real time, your machine will
be required to respond in any human language that is currently spoken by
more than 1 million people. I will specify which language to use for
each question, but I will give only one second's notice of the language.

When will PIBOT be ready to take this test?

Regards

Richard Loosemore.