Re: Why invest in AGI?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 19:42:26 MST

Quite frankly, I doubt the AGI book release, in itself, is going to
make much of a difference. The reason is that none of the papers in
the book describe dramatically successful AGI research results.

But I think that this book, along with the various AGI-oriented
academic workshops and conference sessions that are increasingly
appearing, is going to help gradually and incrementally push the AGI
meme into the awareness of the academic and ultimately popular
community.

There is no doubt that AGI is on the rise, in the sense that its very
low profile is in a phase of gradual increase, both in terms of
popularity and in terms of being taken seriously.

If Novamente or some other AGI project progresses fast enough, then
the gradual increase in AGI's reputation will be irrelevant. But if
progress continues to be relatively slow (largely due to absence of
significant funding of those AGI projects with sound ideas underlying
them) then perhaps this reputation-building will bear fruit by making
funding more available 5-10 years down the road...

In short: Yeah, I think AGI's reputation is increasing exponentially.
But the exponent is still damn small at the moment, though positive,
and I don't see this changing anytime soon until someone announces a
dramatic breakthrough.

-- Ben