Re: Why invest in AGI?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 12:50:30 MST

Richard,

I totally agree that AGI has a big potential to break through in the
next few years and provide immense profits as well as immense
scientific and humanitarian benefits. You are definitely preaching to
the converted in this regard!!

My point was a practical one: merely that nearly all business
investors are interested in investment opportunities with less
appearance of risk than AGI.

Essentially, where AGI is concerned, what is needed is *research
money*. Even for a project like Novamente, where we have a detailed
and theoretically grounded software design that we are progressively
implementing, there is *still* plenty of detail-level research to be
done to make it all work. Business funding for research projects is
hard to come by, unless (and even if) one can make a strong argument
regarding the profitability of incremental results as well as the end
goal. Not impossible of course -- just hard to come by.

In the case of Novamente I do believe we can make profits via software
systems embodying incremental progress toward our end goal of AGI (and
we are doing so now, to a limited extent). So I think Novamente makes
sense as a business opportunity even for fairly conventional investors
-- but that is because we have concrete plans re how to make money
from the incremental versions of our system along the path to general
AI.

-- Ben