Re: No More Searle Please

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Thu Jan 19 2006 - 14:27:57 MST

Searle didn't made the claim you suggest: he was talking about the
person in the room following the procedures necessary to act as a Turing
Machine and implement by hand *any* computer program, not any specific
type of intelligent software. He would wriggle out from underneath that
attack.

I attacked Searle on a different plane.

Your last comment confuses me a little: in my response to Daniel I did
not try to defend the idea of "evidence" for consciousness.

As for the *idea* of consciousness being ridiculous .... that is another
kettle of fish entirely! I am writing a paper on the subject so I will
save my comments for when that is done.

Richard