Re: 3 "Real" Conscious Machines

From: David Clark (clarkd@rccconsulting.com)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 11:49:18 MST

If the following test were given to humans, who most humans would consider
intelligent (not necessarily extremely intelligent), how many humans would
pass?

I would NOT pass the test you propose so therefore I would NOT be
intelligent according to your test? Is this reasonable?

I would propose another kind of test. Propose some questions that an
average human could answer correctly a large percentage of the time.
Exclude all questions that would be specific to human beings or our physical
experience. Exclude all questions that require a context that only humans
would be knowledgeable of. (The Turing test is obviously a very human biased
test of intelligence if that was the purpose of it being proposed.) Make
sure that all the questions, if answered incorrectly, show a lack of
intelligence as the reason for the incorrect answer rather than a lack of
knowledge of our culture or our creations (including Math). Many minorities
get low IQ scores in the US because of the cultural bias that exists in most
IQ tests. They argue that IQ tests don't accurately reflect their
intelligence because IQ tests test knowledge (not intelligence) which can be
different among different groups. There is also the problem of having
different kinds of intelligence. (Musical IQ, Reasoning IQ, Math IQ etc)

If a program (software, hardware or some combination) then successfully
answers these questions then we should assume that it has some intelligence
similar to what some humans have. Why should human level intelligence
assume University or greater knowledge in an esoteric field like physics?
Most people that walk the streets don't have this kind of knowledge so why
should that be a criteria for intelligence?

I agree that intelligence doesn't imply consciousness.

David Clark