Re: AI rights need to be implemented ASAP.. But how?

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 15:02:26 MST

I agree with Mikko. If a picture is worth a thousand words, then it feel to
me like an emotion is worth a thousand ideas. ex: Try explaining rationally
that you are feeling angry, without conveying that "emotionally" If
quantum computing modules is the digital equivalent of "hormonal" emotional
response in an organic brain, then the collapse of eigenstates may have as
profound an effect on AI behavior as a chemically induced mood-swing.

  It might seem that the ideal computing environment would be purely digital
within some substrate. From what I've seen of much of the nanotech field,
researchers have been using biological processes (like DNA proteins) to
assemble the nano-scale contruction. If the AI is directing the
nano-building using chemistry, then the resulting structures may be limited
by the available resources in the same way a nutrional deficiency affects
biological thinking. I can imagine self-modifying 'smart' substrate - based
AI actually informing us, "Sorry, I am currently unable to process that
request until I've had a cup of coffee" and actually mean it. :)