Re: Short story

From: Simon McClenahan (SMcClenahan@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 11:51:31 MST

Russell Wallace said the following on 1/11/2006 11:17 PM:

> On 1/12/06, *turin* <turin@hell.com <mailto:turin@hell.com>> wrote:
>
> This story is I believe in Andy Clarke's Mindware
>

> Like a lot of stories that are written with no other goal than to
> shock, this one just isn't very good. (Why would a machine race even
> have the word "meat"? It doesn't make sense.) There's a good story to
> be written about a sentient machine race that's forgotten its origins
> studying our form of life and trying to figure out what's going on
> with it ("they have self-replicating nanotechnology! but it doesn't
> make sense... why is it done this way?...") but this isn't it, alas.

As a vegetarian, I interpreted them as being sentient plants rather than
machines. I find this observation a great example of how one's
RE-cognition is easily changed depending on your current mental state.
It makes me think that it's highly probable that out of all existing AGI
projects, there will be only one system with the correct mental state to
take us to the Singularity.

- Simon