Re: testing testing

From: Damien Broderick (thespike@satx.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 16:23:02 MST

At 05:57 PM 1/4/2006 -0500, Jeff Medina wrote:

>On 1/4/06, Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 01:25:04PM -0600, Damien Broderick wrote:
> > > I'm pretty sure I'm nearly as smart and cynical as you are, in
> > > general; Loosemore and I both have Ph.D.s in academic disciplines,
> > > which speaks to the latter claim if not the former. :)
>
> > Surely you meant that the other way around?!
>
> > If you would like me to research a few examples of people with
> > Utterly Crazy Beliefs (i.e. not sufficiently cynical people) with
> > Ph.D.s in academic disciplines, I don't think it'd take me very
> > long.
>
>Since he said "speaks to" rather than "entails", providing examples of
>the alternative case does not undermine his claim. As long as people
>with PhDs are the tiniest bit more likely to be sufficiently cynical...

<cough> In Australia, we have a saying: "It's a joke, Joyce."

In this case, a small wry whimsy. An acknowledgement, if I must spell it
out, that the horrendous degradation ceremonial (as certain sociologists
put it) of getting through a PhD can abrade one's simple wide-eyed
acceptance of the human world...

Damien Broderick