Re: Science and Nonsense

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Sun Jan 01 2006 - 08:18:36 MST

Justin,

Just a quick note.

I appreciate your frustration with the lack of depth and substance in
that discussion.

I would be happy to try to give you the information you hoped to see,
but I will have to come back to it when I have enough time. It *does*
require a lot of writing to explain to someone who has little
background, and there are limits to how much energy I have!

In my own defence, I would say that I am always willing to invest the
effort to write long, detailed replies when the people discussing the
matter seem serious about the subject. But would you do that if the
only people responding to you were foaming at the mouth?

You ask about the relevance of psi for AGI. Originally, I was trying to
shed some light on specific claims made in that debate: but now that
you ask your specific question, I actually think that psi is orthogonal
to questions of consciousness and free will, so we will probably be able
to create thinking systems that are completely conscious without having
to worry about psi. I suspect (and this will be a fascinating research
question when the time comes) that an AGI would cause the same kind of
psi effects that humans do.

In my book, discussion of free will and parapsychology are equally
relevant: neither of them particularly important, but neither should be
ruled out of court either. They do both concern the mind.

Richard Loosemore