Re: SIAI & Kurweil's Singularity

From: Michael Vassar (michaelvassar@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 17 2005 - 17:16:38 MST

Here's the classic paper on the topic.
http://www.nickbostrom.com/fut/evolution.html
Also see "the siren song of normative reasoning" in the sl4 archives, and
numerous discussions of anthropomorphizing by Michael Wilson and Eliezer.
Three sentence summery
The prior probability of our caring about an optimization process or of an
optimization process being conscious in a way that we care about is small.
Natural selection is an optimization process optimizing the degree to which
processes are self-optimization processes.
Normative reasoning approximators are strong-attractors for any process that
moves through a phase space towards being an optimization process.