Re: Bogus Patents [Was: Re: Long Self Theory]

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 31 2005 - 12:02:34 MST

--- Richard Loosemore <rpwl@lightlink.com> wrote:
> Did I read you right? You think you have patented the Self?
>
> If so, I hereby announce that I will break your patent every which
> way from Sunday.
>
> Or maybe I've misunderstood....

He has applied for a patent. This application will probably be
reviewed in about a year and a half to two years. A patent examiner
will then go over his claims, and most likely send back a rejection.
He will then file an amendment, which will possibly be followed by a
final allowance of patent or rejection. The whole process may take 2.5
years or so.

I would like to say that a broad, sweeping patent such as he has filed
would be rejected. Unfortunately, patent examiners have very little
time to examine patents, and they tend only to search for prior patents
on the same topic. If no one has tried to patent self-consciousness
before, then his patent may be approved. After that, if someone else
does something that violates his patent, he may sue them. They can go
to court and perhaps overturn his patent, which sounds like it is very
broad. However, just filing for an infringement case costs about a
million dollars, for both the plaintiff and the defendant.

On the bright side, his patent will in any case expire 10/25/2025,
which may be before anyone figures out how to make an android. His
application can be used to reject any future applications for patents.

- Phil

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs