Re: Long Self Theory (Re: JOIN)

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Mon Oct 31 2005 - 19:31:33 MST

Alfio Puglisi wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Woody Long wrote:
>
>> Experimental data: The subject could only focalize on and remember one
>> sound source at a time. It was impossible to attend to both.
>

> How is this experiment performed? I didn't find much on google, and I am
> subjectively able to focus on more than one voice at the same time.

You can find some of the literature on this under the heading of "dual
task" performance, in the cognitive psychology literature.

The problem, however, is that the claims being made in this discussion
may not be very coherent: when people do two tasks at the same time
(like attending to two sound sources, or playing two independent tunes)
it is very difficult to rule out the possibility that fast switching is
happening, or that automatic processing mechanisms ("subroutines") are
being set up to handle the two tasks.

Richard Loosemore