RE: Kurzweil reviewed in the Wall Street Journal

From: Stephen Reed (stephenreed@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 12:29:25 MDT

Regarding significant differences between Ray's
projections on the Singularity and my own:

1. Ray believes the path to what we call an AGI, is
to model the large scale human cognitive functions in
software. In contrast I think that a direct
engineering approach will succeed before Ray's
approach.

2. Ray does not say much about the dangers of an
uncontrolled or poorly executed AGI. Much discussion
here is about achieving a safe AGI. I share those
concerns.

3. Ray does not say much about the organizations,
projects or individuals that will create an AGI. I
believe the U.S. military and to a lesser degree the
U.S. intelligence community is funding (good
old-fashined) AI and robotics research and will pour
funding into AGI projects once evidence appears that
AGI could in fact happen.

Cheers.

-Steve

[note that I will stop using my Cycorp email to
further distance myself from representing Cycorp or
its sponsors - which I do not.]

--- David Massoglia <DMassoglia@pontiac.k12.mi.us>

http://mail.yahoo.com