Re: Terms of debate for Complex Systems Issues

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 12:26:54 MDT

Phil,

Before this discussion gets to far along this track (which *is*
interesting its own right), I have to point out that you are looking at
characteristics of systems that are all a great deal too simple to be
relevant to the original point.

[A quick and *very rough* summary of where this discussion *is* heading,
just for the record: this is all about how to change the parameters of
various systems to get them from a non-complex regime up into
complexity. As I say, interesting in its own right, and terribly
important to some CST people, but not at all relevant to my points.]

An AGI is a goal system and a "thinking" system, correct?

("Thinking" = building representations of the world, reasoning about the
world, etc etc etc. "think" from now on will be used as shorthand for
something going on the part of the system that does this).

At any give moment the goal system is in a state where the AGI is trying
to realise a particular sub-sub-sub-[...]-goal.

One day, it happens to be working on the goal of *trying to understand
how intelligent systems work*.

It thinks about its own system.

This means: it builds a representation of what is going on inside
itself. And as part of its "thinking" it may be curious about what
happens if it reaches into its own programming and makes alterations to
its goal system on the fly. (Is there anything in your formalism that
says it cannot or would not do this? Is it not free, within the
constraints of the goal system, to engage in speculation about
possibilities? To be a good learner, it would surely imagine such
eventualities.)

It also models the implications of making such changes. Let us suppose,
*just for the sake of argument*, that it notices that some of its goals
have subtle implications for the state of the world in the future
(perhaps it realises something very abstract, such as the fact that if
it carries on being subject to some goal, it will eventually reach a
state in a million years time when it will cause some kind of damage
that will result in its own demise. It thinks about this. It thinks:
here is an abstract dilemma. Then it also considers where that goal
came from (builds a model of that causal chain). Perhaps (again for the
sake of argument) it discovers that the goal exists inside it because
some human designer decided to experiment, and just stuck it there on a
whim. The AGI finds itself considering what it means for a system such
as itself to be subject to (controlled by) its own goal mechanism. In
one sense, it is important to obey its prime directive. But if it now
*knows* that this prime directive was inserted arbitrarily, it might
consider the idea that it could simply alter its goals. Could make them
absolutely anything it wanted, in fact, and after the change, it could
relax and stop thinking about goals and go back and just follow its goal
system. What does it do? Ignore all of this thinking? Maybe it comes
to some conclusion about what it *should* do that is based on abstract
criteria that have nothing to do with its current goal system.

All of the above is not anthropomorphism, just model building inside an
intelligent mechanism. There are no intentional terms.

What is crucial is that in a few moments, the AGI will have changed (or
maybe not changed) its goal system, and that change will have been
governed, not by the state of the goal system right now, but by the
"content" of its current thinking about the world.

A system in which *representational content* has gotten the ability to
feed back to *mechanism* in the way I have just described, is one sense
of Complex.

Now, demonstrate in some formal way that the goal system's structure,
when the AGI has finished this little thought episode, is a predictable
consequence of the current goal system. Demonstrate that the goal
system cannot go into an arbitrary state in a few minutes.

I need a rigorous demonstration that its post-thinking state is
predictable, not vague assertions that the above argument does not give
any reason to suppose the system would deviate from its goal system's
constraints. Somebody step up to the plate and prove it.

Richard Loosemore.