Re: On the dangers of AI (Phase 2)

From: Bill Hibbard (test@demedici.ssec.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 14:19:23 MDT

Hi Richard,

On Aug 17, 2005, at 3:49 PM, Richard Loosemore wrote:

> Now, I know I *could* in some future world, flip a switch in such a
> way that I would enjoy being gay, or being a woman. I know that after
> I flipped the switch, I would enjoy it deeply, even though the thought
> makes my skin crawl right now.
>
> Would I flip the switch? I would be happy to do it.
>
> Now please explain which motivation system allowed me to make that
> choice?
>
> I made the choice, I claim, at a pure thought level. I am not just a
> slave to the cruder parts of my motivation system.

Consider a more realistic human motivation, not merely as a
man who enjoys having sex with women, but who also has and
loves a wife and children.

Now the switch isn't so easy to switch, knowing that it may
break up the family and break the hearts of the wife and
children that you love. When your values motivate you to
value particular others, do you think those values will
motivate you to consider the effects of any changes in
those values on the others that you value?

Cheers,
Bill