Re: Shock Level 5 (SL5) - 'The Theory Of Everything'

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 11:31:13 MDT

Thomas Buckner <tcbevolver@yahoo.com> wrote:
I'm very interested in knowing the Theory of
Everything; I just don't know if I would
recognize it when I saw it.
One of Geddes's main contentions is that
intelligence above a certain level is inherently
altruistic. I prefer to believe this, but I don't
think it's provable pre-Singularity.

The term TOE refers to physics not philosophy. Whether intelligence above a certain level is altruistic depends upon the morality of the first individuals who wield the technologies which enable higher intelligence. With AGI I don't know. Reckless researchers with no altruism could find a paperclip optimizer more easily than FAI. There might be a small volume in the AGI configuration space which is not FAI or a paper clip maximizer; maybe a tyrannical researcher could utilize this for his own purposes. With Molecular Manufacturing, it is pretty easy to be evil. Simply by not creating any product technologies which hold the potential for usurping one's power, one can take the time to be as evil as one can imagine; reformatting one's pleasure centres to enjoy inflicting harm. If IA is the pathway to heightened intelligence, it might actually be an asset to be evil as neuro-medical experiments would produce results more rapidly under an circumstances where human rights were
 ignored.

  Universal morality would require many cosmological alterations to be true. It suggests that our pressing problems will solve themselves at some point in the future.