Re: Re: Hiroshima Day

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 15:17:09 MDT

> Not that I am trying to miss your point, but the
> comparison between Hiroshima and Dresden is a matter
> of efficacy.
>
> You are right that a nuclear bomb is just another
> killing tool, but a very good one. The bombing of
> Dresden was horrific, but required a fleet of
> aircraft over night. The Hiroshima bomb caused a
> similiar amount of destruction, but with only one
> plane and one bomb with the added horror of
> radiation poisoning.

In the days of the Roman Empire, you would send a
legion consisting of thousands of soldiers to a city
in order to destroy it. Today it takes thousands
of defense contractors to build the delivery system
(bomber or ICBM) and the weapon system (the bomb),
and a few people to fly the plane or launch the
missile. Total number of people required to destroy
a city hasn't changed as much as you might think.

Daniel