Re: "Objective" Morality

From: Tennessee Leeuwenburg (hamptonite@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 20:16:04 MDT

That's incorrect : Objective != Universal.

Universal means that the same morality applies universally (i.e. for
everyone) whereas Objective means that for any one person their
morality is an objective fact.

i.e. with Universal morality, an action is moral no matter who takes
it, whereas with objective morality, you can have actions that are
right-for-me but wrong-for-you, because of (for example) things we
might know, or difference in our cognitive schemas, etc.

Subtle difference though, and not always (or often) reflected in useage.

Just as we have a science for physics, it's not inconcievable that we
could have a science for morality. Or, if not morality, a science
surrounding a set of variables measuring things which one might
describe as "moral". No need to get into a definitional debate right
away.

Most people on this list accept that moral-for-humans !=
moral-for-all-consciousnesses. Geddes bangs on about how behaving in a
moral way might be an evolutionary advantage, and maybe he's right and
maybe he's not. But that's what he's trying to say.

It's certainly not out of the question that one could, for any given
definition of morality, perform science on it, and establish the truth
or otherwise of a variety of claims.

Cheers,
-T

--