RE: large search spaces don't mean magic

From: Thomas Buckner (tcbevolver@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 08:49:03 MDT

--- Ben Goertzel <ben@goertzel.org> wrote:

> My statement was that I believe an AI with
> superhuman intelligence may well
> be able to find SOME method for escaping from a
> box we think is impregnable.
> I may have mentioned "quantum teleportation" as
> one particular possibility,
> but if this possibility is proved impossible,
> that doesn't affect my point
> at all.
>
> On this particular topic, I seem to be in
> pretty close agreement with
> Eliezer.
>
> I think there is a reasonably good analogy with
> a dog who has cornered his
> human victim and thinks there's no way the
> human can escape -- until the
> human is rescued by a helicopter, something the
> dog has never seen or
> imagined, and which lies outside the
> world-model of the dog.

Or even if the dog has seen and knows of
helicopters, he still has no concept of how to
prevent the use of one, whereas a human wishing
to prevent helicopter-assisted escape would know
of several possible methods, such as sabotage, or
disabling the helicopther with an EM pulse, or
confining the foe in a covered area.

Tom Buckner