Re: large search spaces don't mean magic

From: Thomas Buckner (tcbevolver@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jul 31 2005 - 16:06:23 MDT

--- Daniel Radetsky <daniel@radray.us> wrote:

> > Consider OpenBSD, the most secure OS you can
> obtain on an open market.
>
> On a side note, this is a wildly controversial
> assertion about OSes that I
> don't think that you are justified in making.
> You once told me in private
> communication, if I recall correctly, that Exim
> was a Debian-based operating
> system (this is false, it is an MTA). On the
> basis of this and other facts, I
> think we ought to disregard your opinion on the
> matter of the security of
> particular OSes.
>
> I say this because a lot of people on this list
> hold your opinion in very high
> esteem, and they may take your mistaken
> impressions as gospel and end up with
> non-ideally-secure systems as a result.

As a side note to your side note, and though I am
not an expert, I will assert that the most secure
OS I know about is Knoppix, because it is run
from a CD and cannot be altered by any sort of
malware (for the same reason, 'upgrading' this OS
would mean burning a new CD with a newer
version). This provides an interesting insight
into security: it is secure because it is
hardwired. Other OS's, such as the Windows on my
box, are in a state of constant flux; it's
unlikely that what's in my box is really the same
as yesterday; probably there are ten new tracking
cookies and who knows what else.
Plenty of wily users now are running two separate
boxen, with one box not connected to the outside
world in any way.

Tom Buckner