Re: large search spaces don't mean magic

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Sat Jul 30 2005 - 17:39:08 MDT

Daniel Radetsky wrote:

>>Consider OpenBSD, the most secure OS you can obtain on an open market.
>
> On a side note, this is a wildly controversial assertion about OSes that I
> don't think that you are justified in making. You once told me in private
> communication, if I recall correctly, that Exim was a Debian-based operating
> system (this is false, it is an MTA). On the basis of this and other facts, I
> think we ought to disregard your opinion on the matter of the security of
> particular OSes.

I have not the slightest memory of this alleged conversation. I do not recall
holding an opinion on Exim, researching Exim, or having ever heard of Exim,
before I just now Googled it. It is possible that my memory is faulty, and
you are welcome to dig up this supposed communication. Until then, on the
basis of this and other facts, I think we ought to disregard your opinion on
the veracity of my opinions.

> I say this because a lot of people on this list hold your opinion in very high
> esteem, and they may take your mistaken impressions as gospel and end up with
> non-ideally-secure systems as a result.

*shakes head sadly*