Re: 6 points about Coherent Extrapolated Volition

From: Mike Williams (mikew12345@cox.net)
Date: Sun Jul 24 2005 - 02:50:44 MDT

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:

> 1. COHERENT EXTRAPOLATED VOLITION IS NOT A MAJORITY VOTE. NO HUMAN
> BEING IS ASKED TO ACTUALLY DECIDE ANYTHING.

So you can discern what I want without even asking me? Correction, you
can discern what I would want if I were smarter, etc, without asking me?
  Is that possible without the use of ESP or other psychic abilities?
Can I borrow those subroutines, I'm going to the race track tomorrow...

> 2. THE KEY WORD IN "COHERENT EXTRAPOLATED VOLITION" IS "EXTRAPOLATED".
> CEV DOES NOT USE JUDGMENTS PRODUCED BY THE SORT OF HUMAN BEINGS THAT
> EXIST TODAY.

What's your test case? Will you be able to input the people who lived
100 years ago and accurately model today's world?

> 3. THE CEV WRITES AN AI. THIS AI MAY OR MAY NOT WORK IN ANY WAY
> REMOTELY RESEMBLING A VOLITION-EXTRAPOLATOR.
>
> 4. THE CEV RETURNS ONE COHERENT ANSWER. THE AI IT RETURNS MAY OR MAY
> NOT DISPLAY ANY GIVEN SORT OF COHERENCE IN HOW IT TREATS DIFFERENT
> PEOPLE, OR CREATE ANY GIVEN SORT OF COHERENT WORLD.
>
> 5. THE CEV RUNS FOR FIVE MINUTES BEFORE PRODUCING AN OUTPUT. IT IS NOT
> MEANT TO GOVERN FOR CENTURIES.
>
> 6. THE CEV BY ITSELF DOES NOT MESS AROUND WITH YOUR LIFE. THE CEV JUST
> DECIDES WHICH AI TO REPLACE ITSELF WITH.

Which generation of AI will do more than just "replace itself" and begin
to "mess around with your life"? Or are you saying that these programs
will forever just run on a computer somewhere with zero effect on
anything else?